THE BOOTH OHANA
"the best security blanket a child can have is parents who respect each other" -jane blaustone

Living and co-parenting after a lifetime of love.

Feb 7, 2013

Running(ish) Surf City




So months ago, in November, while still high from running the Long Beach 1/2 marathon, I signed up for the Beach Cities Challenge. You run Long Beach, Huntington Beach, and Orange County. You can start with any one but you must do them consecutively to qualify for the special medal. I was doing great about continuing to train, averaging at least three 3-4 mile runs a week and a longer 6-8 mile run once a week. I started a facebook group to help motivate my pals. It's called, The Happy Pace. Isn't that a cute name?
I was doing great. And then we got busy with birthdays and holidays and parties and life and I totally slacked. In the last 6 weeks I have maybe done 6 runs and none of them over 5 miles. Yikes. Race day came. I knew I was going to do it. I knew I had to do it. I also knew that I hadn't been actively training and not to push myself to the point of injury. I was only racing myself and my goal for a run is just not to die. So far, so good.
Surf City was beautiful. Most of the course is right on PCH, with the beach and the Pacific to the south. Right there. Next to you. 
This run takes place every super bowl Sunday. The crowd wasn't as great as LB (there are some crazy amazing supporters in Long Beach) but it there were 18,000 runners. 
I finished. With an official time of 2:58. (This includes waiting in line at the 4th mile to pee). It's 1 minute faster than my very first 1/2 marathon and 11 minutes slower than my second. I'm scheduled to run the OC 1/2 on May 5, so I've got a good timeline for getting back on track. I managed a steady 12 minute mile for the first 3, a 13 minute mile for the next 4 and my overall average was 13:38 per mile. Not to bad considering I did a lot of walking. My finish line jam ended up being Ho Hey by the Lumineers, not quite the same tear drawing effect as Katy Perry but it was good stuff nonetheless. It's great though. To be out there and to have these accomplishments under my belt. I'm excited for the day that my kids can be there and see me cross a finish line. Me a girl who 3 years ago would have rather laid down and died than run. 
And while I was crazy sore the next two days, I know that's as sore as I'll ever be running a 1/2. Since there's no way I'm going in having lapsed in training ever again.
And, I made lunch. And dinner. I felt like superwoman. But a tired superwoman.
I'm ready to get back out there.



No comments: